Wheatgrass, the young grass of the wheat plant, is extensively rich in Vitamin E and is also an excellent source of chlorophyll. It is also a natural source of a variety of other vitamins and minerals, such as, Vitamins B-12, A and E; Magnesium; Iron; Selenium and Calcium, etc. It acts as an antioxidant as well, thereby slowing down the natural processes of aging and also decreasing the risk of cancer. Some other benefits of wheatgrass are as follows:
- It boosts up ones immunity levels and is also good for digestion.
- It helps in regulating blood sugar levels, thereby facilitating diabetes treatment.
- Wheatgrass is known to improve blood hemoglobin levels.
- Chlorophyll, an essential component of wheatgrass, is endowed with anti-bacterial and anti-septic properties and helps in treating skin related disorders.
- It facilitates proper bodily functions.
- It is used for the treatment of respiratory diseases like bronchitis, flu and common cold.
Wheatgrass also forms an important component of the hCG VLCD diet (human chorionic gonadotropin very low calorie diet) which is growing popularity as one of the best ways for safe and quick weight loss.
Wheatgrass is usually sold as a juice or powder concentrate. However, it is also available in cream, spray and gel applications for external use. You can prepare a number of meals and drinks with the help of this nutritional food. Here we offer before you a list of 5 delicious vegan wheatgrass recipes which is gradually gaining popularity and turning into a new nutritional trend. Since wheatgrass forms a major component of these recipes, they are all highly rich in vitamins and micro elements, yet moderate in calories, therefore acting as an ideal food source for all you fitness freaks out there!!
- Mushroom Soup with Pearl Barley and Wheatgrass
- 1 cup Wheatgrass
- 300 g Mushroom
- 100 g Pearl Barley
- 1 piece of Carrot
- 3 pieces of Potatoes
- 1 piece of Onion
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Step 1: First of all, minutely chop the onions and mushrooms and grate the carrot. Cut peeled potatoes into small pieces.
- Step 2: Take a frying pan, add minimal amount of olive oil in it and slightly fry the pearl barley. Add grated carrot and chopped onions to it and fry for a while, then add mushrooms.
- Step 3: Boil the potatoes and wheatgrass in a container with 3 liters of water for 5 minutes. Now add the previously fried contents (onions, pearly barley, carrots and mushrooms) to this mixture. Boil again for 10 minutes.
- Step 4: Sprinkle some fresh herbs on top and your Mushroom Soup with Pearly Barley and Wheatgrass is ready to be served!!
- Wheatgrass Banana Soft Serve
Believe me, this is probably the most nutrient dense dessert you will ever come across!!
- 1 tablespoon wheatgrass juice
- 1 frozen banana (peel it off before freezing)
- 2-4 tablespoon vanilla soy milk
- Some dried coconut to garnish.
- Step 1: Add all ingredients except coconut to a blender or food processor. The mixture needs to be of the same consistency as ice cream, therefore blend on a low setting and add more soy milk if you feel the need
- Step 2: Scoop it into a bowl and garnish with coconut.
- Step 3: And your delicious and nutritious dessert is ready for consumption.
- Porridge with wheatgrass
- 1 cup wheatgrass
- 1 orange
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 pinch dry ginger powder
- Salt and sugar to taste.
- Step 1: Put wheatgrass in a pan and add enough water to cover the sprouted grains. Steep for about an hour and then pour out the water.
- Step 2: Again fill the pan with fresh water and bring it to a boil. Add the dry ginger powder, a pinch of sugar and salt to taste. Boil this mixture on low heat, till the wheatgrass is soft.
- Step 3: Add butter and honey to the porridge when it is ready. Garnish with orange pieces and serve.
- Wheatgrass Juice
Wheatgrass is ready to harvest once it is 4-6 inches in height. The stalks are to be cut with sharp scissors above the roots. If fresh wheatgrass juice is what you are looking for, then cut the plant right before juicing. To prepare wheatgrass juice at home, you can use a wheatgrass juicer or a regular blender.
Its powerful grassy taste sometimes discourages people to consume wheatgrass juice. But you can create your own recipes to cover the powerful taste by adding water or other ingredients. You can add either Stevia (sweet herb) or Agave (sweet plant syrup), as both are natural sweeteners, devoid of glucose or fructose. Citrus juices have strong flavor, therefore by adding some like orange juice or lemon juice, you can make a tasty, delicious drink.
- Step 1: Take ½ cup of freshly cut wheatgrass.
- Step 2: Put it in a fruit or vegetable blender along with 2-3 cups of water and blend at high speed for at least a minute.
- Step 3: Once it blends properly, the pulp will float to the top.
- Step 4: Strain the juice and add some fresh lemon juice to it, to give it a fresh, tangy flavor.
- Step 5: Drink it immediately to enjoy the best benefits.
- Wheatgrass Smoothie
- 200 ml (about 6.7 ounces) of unsweetened soy milk
- 2 teaspoons of wheatgrass powder concentrate
- ½ cup of fresh diced pineapple
- 1 tablespoon of chia or flaxseeds
- 1 medium-sized fresh ripe mango. Make sure the mango is soft, with a sweet, fragrant smell.
- Step 1: Peel the mango and cut and separate flesh from the pit.
- Step 2: Take a blender, combine all the above mentioned ingredients (mango, pineapple, soy milk, chia or flax seeds, and wheatgrass powder) in it, and blend at high speed until smooth.
- Step 3: Garnish it with a pinch of ground cinnamon before serving.
Most of the fruits, vegetables and seeds used together with wheatgrass for the preparation of delicious recipes are low carb foods.
All the recipes (few more) mentioned above are easy to prepare and come at affordable prices. These are some of the best ways to make use of this nutrient rich food. Make it a necessary addition to your daily diet like HCG or Chinese 159 meal and experience its innumerable benefits like quick weight loss without using any supplements.